Jérôme is a sociologist at the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) and is currently working at the Triangle research unit (UMR 5206 – University of Lyon). His main research interests lie in human-animal relationships, science studies, sociology of mobilization, and sociology of health. His work consists in a sociological exploration of social dynamics within the “benevolence towards animals’ communities”. His PhD dissertation about Animal-Assisted Therapy as a social phenomenon was published in 2014 (Panser avec les animaux. Sociologie du soin par le contact animalier, Presses de Mines, Paris). He tried to understand how being involved in human health care has changed the social status of some animals – namely dogs and horses –, contributing to getting their “personhood” acknowledged and valued. He is also working on animal rights activism – and especially the links between advocacy and the academia – and the veterinary profession. His contribution to RULNAT consists in the collaborative work with Gaëlle Ronsin on the trial of two fishermen accused of beheading seals in Brittany (France).
✜ Articles & Chapters
- Michalon, J. (2020). Accounting for One Health: insights from the social sciences. Parasite, EDP Sciences, 2020, 27 (56), https://dx.doi.org/10.1051/parasite/2020056
- Michalon, J. (2020). « The Rise of Therapy Animals’ Personhood. Note on the Ontological Dimensions of Professional Dynamics. » Humanimalia. A journal of human/animal interface studies 11(2). URL : https://www.depauw.edu/humanimalia/issue%2022/michalon.html
- Antoine Doré, Jérôme Michalon et Teresa Líbano Monteiro, « The Place and Effect of Animals in Families », Enfances Familles Générations [En ligne], 32 | 2019, mis en ligne le 15 mai 2019, consulté le 23 octobre 2019. URL : http://journals.openedition.org/efg/8073
- Michalon, J. (2019). The ‘Animal Cause’ and the Social Sciences. From anthropocentrism to zoocentrism. Books and Ideas: 11 February 2019 http://www.booksandideas.net/The-Animal-Cause-and-the-Social-Sciences.html
- Doré, A. et J. Michalon (2016). What makes human-animal relations “organizational”? The De-Scription of anthrozootechnical agencements. Organization. 24(6): 761-780.
- Michalon, J. (2013). From Sport to Therapy. The Social Stakes in the Rise of Equine Assisted Activities. Sport, Animals and Society. J. Gillett and M. Gilbert (Dir.), Routledge: 85-100.